Health and Hygiene
Protocols at Hollis Preschool
The health and safety of our students, staff and families are paramount to Hollis Preschool. Effective immediately, the following protocols will be enacted. These protocols are subject to change.
- All Hollis Preschool staff will be required to wear masks while interacting with students or adults. This includes indoor and outdoor activities, arrival and dismissal.
- The usage of porous and difficult-to-clean toys and manipulatives will be minimized; the inventory of these items will be reduced and/or removed from the building. Best efforts will be made to reduce the use of items that cannot be cleaned, such as playdough and sensory sand. When manipulatives and toys are shared between classrooms, they will be sanitized between use.
- Students will have individual pencil boxes containing commonly used materials such as pencils, coloring supplies, scissors, glue sticks, playdough, paintbrushes, etc. to reduce the spread of germs.
- Only Hollis Preschool Staff will be allowed in the school except for emergencies. Maintenance workers who need to access the interior of the building will do so during non-school hours.
- Efforts will be made to reduce class sizes in accordance with state recommendations.
- Hollis Preschool staff will be trained in the use of PPE (personal protective equipment) and sanitary techniques.
- Children will be supervised during the use of hand sanitizer and hand washing to ensure proper technique.
- If hands are visibly soiled, soap and water will be used instead of hand sanitizer.
- Staff and students will wash hands or use hand sanitizer upon entering the building, before and after toileting, before and after eating, and after using shared materials.
- Hand sanitizer must contain at least 60% alcohol.
- All students will be required to bring their own peanut- and treenut-free individual snacks and drinks. Parents are responsible for reading labels carefully to ensure the food is not processed in a facility with nuts.
- Dedicated staff members will manage food and prep. They will sanitize in between handling each child’s snacks.
- Staff members who have assisted in bathroom/diaper duties at any point during the day will not be allowed to handle food.
- Communal birthday and holiday food will not be permitted.
- Dedicated staff will tend to students during bathroom visits, wiping down surfaces after each student has finished.
- Dedicated staff will wear gloves in addition to a mask during diaper changes.
- Separate disposal systems will be utilized for all diaper waste.
- Children will be supported in handwashing before and after diaper changes and toileting.
- Children in diapers must use disposable diapers while at HPS.
- Specific instruction on handling diaper changes will be posted in each restroom.
- Classrooms will have designated bathrooms to use to reduce intermingling of students.
- Dedicated staff will be cleaning high traffic areas: door handles, countertops, chairs, light switches, etc. on an ongoing basis throughout the day.
- Rooms will be cleaned after each class is completed and before the next class session begins.
- An EPA approved disinfectant will be used for cleaning purposes.
- Classes will not mix on the playground, with play-time staggered.
- Playground equipment will be sanitized daily or more as needed.
Drop-off / Entry
- Each class will have a specific time and location for drop off.
- Your child’s classroom teachers will be in charge of taking them out of the car, hand sanitizing, and temperature checks. Please remain on site until this assessment is complete.
- Temperatures will be taken with a contactless thermometer. Students with temperatures of 100.4 or greater, or other signs of illness (cough, runny nose, etc.) will not be admitted.
- Receiving staff will wear masks during drop-off and will use hand sanitizer between students.
- Classes may enter through different entrances to the building or at different times, so that sanitizing can take place in between classes (doors and handles wiped down).
- If you miss your drop off time slot, you must wait until all drop offs are complete. Then please call the school so a staff member can receive your child. Do not walk your child into HPS.
- Each class will have a specific time and location for pick up.
- Your child’s classroom teachers will be in charge of putting them in the car.
- Staff will wear masks during pick up and will use hand sanitizer between students.
- If you miss your pickup time slot, you must wait until all pickups are complete. Then please call the school so a staff member can escort your child to the car.
- Students with seasonal or acute illnesses will not be allowed in the school until asymptomatic for 24 hours and at the discretion of the Hollis Preschool Director.
- Students with sudden onset illness while at Hollis Preschool will be isolated and supervised until a parent/guardian can pick them up. A thorough cleaning will take place once the child has left.